Trucking life can be a lonely life and few things spice a lonely evening up better than some good cooking. In a lot of ways, long-haul trucking is similar to camping, with what is essentially a teardrop camper built-in behind the cab, and a limitless number of ideas on what to cook with.
That’s not to mention the fact that it can save a ton of money and potential health issues down the road to stay well away from fast food. Truckers can buy just enough to cram into a mini-fridge to make several dinners over a week.
While it may take a certain amount of finesse, it’s certainly doable. With that being said, here are the 10 things that truckers use for cooking.
This is one of the easiest ways to cook because it doesn’t take any time to set up after a long day on the road. Truckers can let the crockpot cook while they are on the road all day.
So long as you purchase one that plugs into the cigarette lighter port, like the RoadPro RPSL-350, which will hold up to a quart. It comes in larger sizes but the strap-down lid is a necessity. Otherwise, one hard break will send dinner into the front windshield and down the defrost vents.
- Auto & Truck Maintenance
- Country of manufacture: China
- Manufacturer: ROADPRO
2. Electric Skillet
The Elite Gourmet EFS-400 is one of the highest-rated, portable electric skillets on the market for good reason. It’s extremely easy to use, compact, holds up to 32oz. And is non-stick. Electric skillets are an enormous convenience as it’s like a stovetop on the road.
With most, you’ll have to purchase an adapter for the cigarette lighter but that’s not too big of a deal as they are abundantly available and relatively inexpensive.
- COMPACT & PORTABLE: Small compact size (7" x 7") perfect for small personal servings with a 32 oz....
- ADJUSTABLE TEMPERATURE: Easily control your cooking or warming of food with the temperature dial.
- REMOVABLE LOCKING HANDLE: The clip-on handle easily unlocks from the heating pan for easy cleaning...
- GLASS LID: The tempered glass lid with cool-touch knob prevents cooking platters or assists in...
- PFOA-FREE NONSTICK: The Non-stick cooking surface is easy to clean and prevents food sticking while...
3. Portable Stove
If you bring along your own cookware, a portable stove, like the Cusimax Portable Electric Stove is the perfect road companion. They come in single top and double top burners so if you’re a fan of cooking a side dish with the main, you have that option.
Portable stoves are flat, easy to clean up, and easy to stow away, making them an excellent method of cooking for those on the road.
- [WORKS WITH ALL TYPES OF COOKWARE]: Compatible with pots and pans with maximum size of 7.1 inches....
- [HEAT-UP IN SECONDS] Compare to hot plate burner which takes minutes to heat up, Infrared burners...
- [CONVENIENT] The small scale in size makes it very portable. Ideal for dorm rooms, offices, camping,...
- [SAFE & DURABLE] NO Radiation, our infrared cooktop works by far infrared heating and has no...
- [WARRANTY] 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. 18-Month warranty by registering with us. Customer...
This is kind of a no-brainer if you’re a huge fan of smoothies or carrying your lunch on the road in nothing bigger than a 32oz cup. Believe it or not, there are a ton of recipes designed just for blenders, like those found here.
For truckers who are into smoothies, it’s a whole lot better for you than anything McDonald’s has to offer and you can make as many as you want.
- Mocha Frappes
- Milk Shakes
- Instant Breakfast drinks
- Dipping sauces
That’s just a small example of the variety that a blender brings to the table, including additional recipe components for something else you’re cooking.
5. Sandwich Maker
Sandwich makers are really easy, especially if you’re into grilled cheese sandwiches, hot ham ; swiss, or just a grilled cheese over turkey or ham. Throw in some bacon and you’ll never need fast food again.
There are a variety of types on the market and, like this one, you can buy many of them in sets that come with other cookware and devices as well.
6. Portable Oven
You often see these on construction sites and within the shipbuilding industry, especially during the colder months. Fortunately, they work great for long-haul truckers as well. It is more than capable of cooking raw food over the course of a few hours.
It’s also good for just heating up leftovers and most brands can heat up your leftovers in about half an hour.
- MINI PORTABLE OVEN - Compared to microwave ovens, the mini portable microwave keeps you from the...
- EASY TO USE - The portable food warmer has an automatic temperature control design that doesn't have...
- LIGHTWEIGHT & PORTABLE - Mini food warmer lunch box doesn't take a lot of space, so you can easily...
- 3 WAYS TO CARRY - This multifunctional food warmer portale can be carried in 3ways: grapped in your...
- PRODUCTS ATTENTION：This portable food warmer need use the FLAT and HEAT-RESISTANT containers size...
7. Mini Fridge
A mini-fridge is a must-have appliance for anyone who is going to be on the road for a long period. This is especially true if you plan on cooking for most of your meals, as you’ll need to keep both the ingredients and the leftovers cold throughout the day and night.
The Smeta Mini Fridge is a perfect example. It’s small enough so that it doesn’t take up too much valuable space and can still hold enough to make it worthwhile.
- Mini fridge with lock: AC/DC single reversible door refrigerator/cooler without freezer
- Silent absorption with no moving parts for quiet operation,no noise
- Fully enclosed design, lifetime use without adding refrigerant
- Indoor/outdoor cooler, Voltage election between AC and DC power - with AC priority
- Easy operation, best for home, dorm,garage,apartment,hotel,bar,camping,traveling,car,truck.
Microwaves are the most obvious appliance to have a long over the road, so we put it a little farther down the list. However, it’s no less important and anyone with a microwave knows the wide variety of purposes that you can use them for.
It’s especially great for when you cook a heavy dinner and have plenty of leftovers to heat up throughout the trip. This Power Hunt 12 Volt Microwave is a great example of one that is perfect for truckers.
9. Coffee Maker
Long days on the road are no good for someone that is driving tired, especially for safety reasons. Because of that, truckers are probably the one worker in the world who is more familiar with coffee than anyone else.
For those who like to get up and go fast, an express coffee maker, like the AeroPress Go Portable is the perfect fit for the get-up-and-go lifestyle.
- IT’S ALL ABOUT TASTE - ON THE GO: The AeroPress Go travel coffee press makes smooth, delicious...
- PERFECT FOR HOME OR TRAVEL: The AeroPress Go features a small size that makes 1-3 cups per press....
- PORTABLE AND VERSATILE: The rapid, total immersion brewing process brews hot coffee or espresso in a...
- EASY AND CONVENIENT: Brew anywhere! The AeroPress Go is simple to use and clean up takes seconds.
- 350 MICRO-FILTERS INCLUDED: No grit in your cup like with a French press. Smooth, flavorful coffee...
10. Waffle Maker
Everybody likes waffles and it’s a good way to fill the time while the coffee is brewing and you’re brushing your teeth. Plus, there is an endless resource of choices available on the market and with just two of these mini waffle makers by Crownful, you’ll have a plate full of waffles in minutes.
It’s especially nice if you have a minifridge so you have some cold milk or water along for the waffle mix. Let’s not forget about plastic forks and some homemade syrup to top everything off before the morning drive gets started.
The interesting part in this entire exercise of compiling different appliances together for long-haul trucking is that all of these can fit onto a truck and be put to good use. The portability of everything on this list—and your organizational skills—means there’s room for everything.
There’s nothing like being on the road for long periods of time, throughout the entire week. You need a way to make your own food, and save your paycheck from all of that fast food. That’s what makes this top ten list an essential list for truckers.